Paper I : (Theory) Inorganic Chemistry Code;09010207
|S. No / Section||Topic||Domain||Hours|
|Hydrogen Bonding & VanderWaals Forces :
1. Hydrogen Bonding – Definition, Types, effects of hydrogen bonding on properties of substances,
2. Application Brief discussion of various types of Vander Waals Forces
Metallic Bond and Semiconductors :
1. Metallic Bond-Brief introduction to metallic bond, band theory of metallic bond Semiconductors-
2. Introduction, types and applications.
S-Block Elements :
1. Comparative study of the elements including, diagonal relationships, salient features of hydrides (methods of preparation excluded),
2. Solvation and complexation tendencies including their function in biosystems
Chemistry of Noble Gases :
1. Chemical properties of the noble gases with emphasis on their low chemical reactivity,
2. Chemistry of xenon, structure and bonding of fluorides, oxides & oxy fluorides of xenon.
|P-block elements :
1. Emphasis on comparative study of properties of p-block elements (including diagonal relationship and excluding methods of preparation).
Boron family (13thgp):-
2. Diborane – properties and structure (as an example of electron – deficient compound and multicentre bonding),
3. Borazene–chemical properties and structure Trihalides of Boron–Trends in few is acid character structure of aluminium (III) chloride..
4. Catenation, p ˑ– d ˑ bonding (an idea), carbides, fluorocarbons, silicates (structural aspects),
5. Silicons – general methods of preparations ,properties and uses.
|p-block elements :
1. Oxides – structures of oxides of N,P. oxyacids – structure
2. Relative acid strengths of oxy acids of Nitrogen and phosphorus. Structure of white, yellow and red phosphorus.
3. Oxy acids of sulphur – structures and acidic strength H2O2
4. Basic properties of halogen, inter halogens types properties,
5. Hydro and oxy acids of chlorine – structure and comparison of acid strength
|Nice to know||9|
- Chemistry for Degree Students ( B. Sc I) By Dr. R.L. Madan , S . Chand
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry , J.D Lee (Latest Edition) E.L.B.S.
- University Chemistry 3rd Edition by B H Mahan, Narosa
- Concepts and Models in Inorganic Chemistry , Douglas , McDanial and Alexanderm, John Wiley