Paper I: (Theory) Organic Chemistry
|S. No / Section||Topic||Domain||Hours|
|Structure and Bonding :
1. Localized and delocalized chemical bond,
2. van der Waals interactions, resonance: conditions, resonance effect and its applications.
3. Hyper conjugation, inductive effect, Electromeric effect & their comparison.
1. Conceptof Isomerism. Types of isomerism. Optical isomerism , elements of symmetry.
2. Molecular chirality, enantiomers, stereogenic centre, optical activity.
3. Properties of enantiomers, chiral and achiral molecules with two stereogenic centres,
4. diastereomers, threo and erythro diastereomers, mesocompounds,
5. Resolution of enantiomers, inversion, retention and racemization.
Stereochemistry of OrganicCompounds-II :
6. Relative and absolute configuration, sequence rules, R&S systems of nomenclature. Geometric isomerism,
7. Determination of configuration of geometric isomers .E&Z system of nomenclature,
8. Conformational isomerism, confirmational analysis of ethane and n-butane, conformations of cyclohexane, axial and equatorial bonds,.
9. Newman projection and Sawhorse formulae, Difference between configuration and conformation.
|Mechanism of Organic Reactions :
1. Curved arrow notation, drawing electron movements with arrows, half-headed and double-headed arrows,
2. Homolytic and heterolytic bond breaking. Types of reagents – electrophiles and nucleophiles.
3. Types of organic reactions. Energy considerations. Reactive intermediates, carbocations, carbanions,
4. Freeradicals, carbenes, arynes and nitrenes (formation, structure & stability).
5. Assigning formal charges on intermediates and other ionic species
|Nice to know||10|
- Chemistry for Degree Students ( B. Sc I) By Dr. R.L. Madan , S . Chand
- Organic Chemistry , I.L.Finar Ist volume
- Organic Chemistry Arun Bhal and BS Bhal , S Chand
- Organic Chemistry Morrison RT and Boyd RN , Prentice Hall