Paper I : (Theory) Organic Chemistry
|S. No / Section||Topic||Domain||Hours|
1. Nomenclature of alkenes, , mechanisms of dehydration of alcohols and dehydro halogenation of alkyl halides,.
2. The Saytzeff rule, Hofmann elimination, physical properties and relative stabilities of alkenes.
3. Chemical reactions of alkenes, mechanisms involved in hydrogenation, electrophilic and free radical additions,
4. Markownikoff’s rule, hydroboration–oxidation, oxy mercuration- reduction, ozonolysis, hydration, hydroxylation and oxidation with KMnO4
|Arenes and Aromaticity :
1. Nomenclature of benzene derivatives:. Aromatic nucleus and side chain.
2. Aromaticity:the Huckel rule, aromatic ions, annulenes up to 10 carbon atoms, aromatic, anti – aromatic and non – aromatic compounds.
3. Aromatic electrophilic substitution , general pattern of the mechanism, mechansim of nitration, halogenation, sulphonation, and Friedel-Crafts reaction. Energy profile diagrams.
4. Activating, deactivating substituents and orientation
|Dienes and Alkynes :
1. Nomenclature and classification of dienes isolated, conjugated and cumulated dienes.
2. Structure of butadiene,. Chemical reactions, 1,2 and 1,4 additions (Electrophilic & free radical mechanism),Diels-Alder reaction,
3. 3. Nomenclature, structure and bonding in alkynes. Methods of formation. Chemical reactions of alkynes, acidity of alkynes.
4. Mechanism of electrophilic and nucleophilic addition reactions, hydroboration-oxidation of alkynes
Alkyl and Aryl Halides :
1. Nomenclature and classes of alkyl halides, methods of formation, chemical reactions.
2. Mechanisms and stereochemistry of nucleophilic substitution reactions of alkyl halides, SN2 and SN1 reactions with energy profile diagrams. Methods of formation and reactions of aryl halides,
3. The addition- elimination and the elimination- addition mechanisms of n ucleophilic aromatic substitution reactions.
4. Relative reactivities of alkyl halides vsallyl, vinyl and arylhalides
|Nice to know||16|
- Chemistry for Degree Students ( B. Sc I) By Dr. R.L. Madan , S . Chand
- Organic Chemistry , I.L.Finar Ist volume
- Organic Chemistry Arun Bhal and BS Bhal , S Chand
- Organic Chemistry Morrison RT and Boyd RN , Prentice Hall