Subject: Electromagnetic Theory and Fibre Optics Code: 09010205
|S.N||Topic||Domain||Hours as per UGC|
|1||ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM
· Review of basic laws of electricity & magnetism
· Current density and equation of continuity
· Maxwell’s equations and their derivations
· Significance of Maxwell’s equations,
· Displacement current,
· Vector potentials
· Scalar potentials,
· Boundary conditions at interface between two different media,
· Propagation of electromagnetic wave in free space (Basic idea, no derivation),
· Relation between E & B.
· Current density
· equation of continuity
· Propagation of electromagnetic waves in conducting medium (Basic idea),
· Energy density in conducting medium.
· Electromagnetic waves in a dielectric medium,
· Poynting vector
· Poynting theorem,
· waveguides of uniform cross section,
· Co-axiable cable.
· Optical Fiber cables as optical waveguide,
· propagation of light through optical fiber,
· Derivation of acceptance angle and numerical apertures,
· Fractional refractive index,
· Modes of optical fibers:
· Single mode,
· Multimode optical fibre,
· Graded-index multimode optical fibre,
· Application of optical fibers.
Nice to know
- Milford, Reitzand. Electricity and Magnetism. New Delhi: Prentice-Hall of India.
- Mahajan, A.S. and A.A. Rangwala . Electricity and Magnetism. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill.
- Taneja, S.P. Modern Physics. New Delhi: R. Chand.