PHYSICS – II
Code – 09050208
B.Sc. Mathematics (Hons) – 2nd semester
|S.No.||Topic||Domain||Hours as per UGC|
|1||· Semiconductor Diodes: Energy bands in solids. Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductor, Hall effect, P-N junction diode and their V-I characteristics. Zener and avalanche breakdown. Resistance of a diode, Light Emitting diodes (LED). Photo conduction in semiconductors, photodiode, Solar Cell.
· Diode Rectifiers: P-N junction half wave and full wave rectifier. Types of filter circuits. Zener diode as voltage regulator, simple regulated power supply.
|2||· Transistors: Junction Transistors, Bipolar transistors, working of NPN and PNP transistors, Transistor connections (C-B, C-E, CC mode), constants of transistor. Transistor characteristic curves (excluding h parameter analysis), advantage of C-B configuration.||Must know||15|
|3||· Transistor Amplifiers: Different methods of Transistor biasing and stabilization. D.C. load line. Classification of amplifiers, Common-base, common-emitteer amplifiers. Resistance-capacitance (R-C) coupled amplifier (two stage; concept of band width, no derivation). Feed-back in amplifiers, advantage of negative feedback..
· Oscillators: Oscillators, Principle of Oscillation, Classification of Oscillator. Condition for self sustained oscillation ; Hartley oscillator.
|Nice to know||8|
|4||· Lasers ; Main features of a laser : Directionality, high intensity, high degree of coherence, spatial and
· temporal coherence, Einstein’s coefficients and possibility of amplification, momentum transfer, life time of a level, kinetics of optical absorption. Laser pumping, Population inversions and laser action, He-Ne laser and Semi-conductor laser (Principle, Construction and Working). Applications of laser and laser action.
|Nice to know||10|
- Solid State Electronics Devices by BG Streetman, Prentice Hall of India
- Basic Electronics and Linear circuits by N.N. Bhargava, D.C. Kulshreshtha and S.C.Gupta (TITI, CHD).
- Electronic Fundamentals and Applications by J.D. Ryder (Prentice Hall India.)
- Lassers, Theory and Application (2nd Ed.) by Thagrajan and Ajay Ghatak.
- Laser and Nonlinear Optics by B.B. Laud (2nd